There are three moments in the history of CLUL.
1932-1976: Centre of Philological Studies (CEF)
1976-2007: Centre of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon (CLUL)
2008: Centre of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon, unit of the Faculty of Letters of the University of Lisbon, integrated in the major area of Language Sciences (Ciências da Linguagem), as the result of the fusion with the R&D unit Onset-CEL, created in 2004.
CLUL has six research groups and is located in two places of the campus of the University of Lisbon: the Faculty of Letters and the Institute for Interdisciplinary Research.