Name: Mahesh Radhakrishnan
Academic Degree: PhD
Professional Status: Postdoctoral Fellow
CLUL's Research Sector: Grammar & Resources
Research Areas: Ethnomusicology, Anthropological Linguistics, Creole Studies, Language Documentation and Conservation, South Asia, Ireland
- 2013- PhD in Linguistics (Macquarie University)
- 2006- BA Hons in Linguistics and Music (Macquarie University)
- 2005- Bachlor of Media (Visual Production)
- 2017-present: Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Lisbon (Centro de Linguística da Universidade de Lisboa)
- 2014-present: Visiting Fellow at Australian National University (School of Archaeology and Anthropology)
- 2016-2017: Project Officer (Indigenous Interpreting) at National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI), Australia.
- 2010-2014- Research Officer/Assistant, Adult Migrant English Program Longitudinal Study, Linguistics, Macquarie University
- 2012: Research Assistant at Australian National University (School of Archaeology and Anthropology)
- 2017-present: "Documentation of Sri Lanka Portuguese" - funded by Endangered Languages Documentation Programme
- 2014-present: "Irish, sean-nós and the linguistic ecologies of traditional singing"
- 2007-2013- "Irish traditional singing and South Indian Carnatic singing: Performance, language choice and ideologies and musicolinguistic artistry" (doctoral research)
- 2014-present: Convenor of "Sung Poetry group", interdisciplinary discussion group at Australian National University.
- Radhakrishnan, M (2016) 'South Indian Carnatic singing and Irish Sean-nós - an ethnographic, musical and linguistic comparison', Folk Life, 54:1, 32-48.
- Radhakrishnan, M 2013 ‘Performer talk in Irish traditional singing performances in Australia’, Proceedings of the 2012 Conference of the Australian Linguistics Society, John Henderson, Marie-Eve Ritz and Celeste Rodríguez-Luoro (eds).
- Radhakrishnan, M 2013 ‘Music on the move’, Language on the Move blog (http://www.languageonthemove.com/music-on-the-move/)
- Radhakrishnan, M 2012 'Musicolinguistic artistry of niraval in Carnatic vocal music' in Ponsonnet M L Dao & M Bowler (eds) The 42nd Australian Linguistic Society Conference Proceedings – 2011 (Canberra, 1-4 Dec 2011) Canberra: ANU Research Repository https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au